If you have been injured, you may be dealing with stress and expenses due to pain, medical care, lost work, and other costs related to your injury. If your injury was the fault of someone else’s negligence, you may be able to recover those costs and damages with the help of a Houston personal injury lawyer. What are your options for injury recovery, and how do you sue for personal injury in Texas?
Different Types of Injury Liability
Unintentional injuries are the leading cause of death for Americans ages 1-44, and state law in Texas gives victims a wide range of options for personal injury recovery, depending on where and how you were injured. Some of the most common types of injury liability may include:
- Work-related injuries may be the liability of your employer, and you could file a workers compensation claim
- Automotive injuries may be the liability of the other driver, and you can recover from automotive insurance or file a lawsuit
- Injuries from defective products may be the liability of the manufacturer
- Injuries from medical malpractice may be the liability of the physician or hospital
- Injuries from someone’s deliberate harm may be criminal. Criminal cases may not help you recover your personal costs and damages, so you may need to file a lawsuit
Other common types of personal injury include:
- Slip and fall
- Accidental poisoning
- Animal or insect bites and stings
No matter how you were injured, if someone else was responsible, you should consider finding a personal injury lawyer in Houston and filing a lawsuit.
What is a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
A personal injury lawsuit is defined by three important factors:
- Injury to Person vs. Property. If someone caused damage to your possessions or property, you can sue to recover damages. However, that is considered a property damage case, not a personal injury case.
- Accident vs. Liability. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time, and not all mistakes are recoverable in court. In order to be liable, the person who caused the injury must be proven to have been negligent. In other words, they had a legal responsibility to take care to prevent or avoid the injury, and they didn’t fulfill their responsibility.
- Civil and Criminal Liability. If you were injured as a result of someone’s criminal action, they may face criminal charges, as well as liability for your injury. In addition, gross negligence that causes injury and damage may also deserve criminal investigation and prosecution. In most cases, a criminal case will proceed first, since evidence and findings in the criminal case will be relevant in a civil lawsuit.
If you have been injured as a result of a crime in Texas, you may also be eligible for the Crime Victims Compensation Program. Before applying for compensation through this program, it is important to have a consultation with a Houston injury lawyer to review all your options.
In other words, a personal injury case is a specific type of lawsuit, with specific guidelines and procedures. It is important to choose a lawyer who is qualified to fight and win a personal injury case.
What to Look for in a Houston Personal Injury Lawyer
When choosing a personal injury attorney in Houston, here are some of the key factors to consider:
- Local expertise. A great personal injury lawyer in Houston will not only know all the relevant aspects of the law, but they will know all applicable aspects of Texas laws and legal practices. No two states have identical personal injury statutes, and local expertise is necessary.
- Courtroom experience. A great Houston injury lawyer will have a proven track record of taking personal injury cases to court and winning. While it’s always important to consult with an attorney when negotiating a settlement, choose an attorney who isn’t afraid to go to court and fight for your rights.
- Exceptional communication. When you are recovering from an injury, you need an attorney who understands you as much as they understand your rights. Choose a personal injury lawyer in Texas who truly understands your case, listens to your concerns, and answers all your questions.
Why Choose Aaron Allison?
The Aaron Allison Law Firm has been fighting and winning personal injury cases in Texas since 1978. Aaron Allison is family-owned, and proud of the skill, experience, and integrity we bring to every case. Contact us today for a free consultation.