Motorcycle accidents are serious, and they are on the rise. In 2020, there were 7,481 motorcycle crashes in Texas that resulted in 482 fatalities. That’s a 17 percent increase in motorcycle accident deaths over 2019 and the third-highest fatality rate in the country.
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, or have lost a loved one in a motorcycle crash, you may be entitled to compensation. Your first step should be to consult with a Houston motorcycle accident lawyer who understands your rights.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
The small size of motorcycles makes them more difficult for drivers of other vehicles to see on the road, especially at night or in poor weather. Because motorcycles have only two wheels, they are less stable than four-wheeled vehicles, and more prone to mishaps. Here are the most common causes of motorcycle accidents:
- Vehicle taking a left turn: 42 percent
- Motorcycle overturns: 27 percent
- Sideswipes and lane changes: 21 percent
The most common cause of motorcycle accidents is when a vehicle driver misjudges the speed or distance of a motorcycle and makes a left turn in front of them. Nearly one-third of all Texas motorcycle fatalities take place at intersections.
Alcohol plays a major role in motorcycle accidents, with 42 percent of motorcycle drivers who were fatally injured in a crash being under the influence of alcohol. Another 30 percent of motorcycle drivers who were fatally injured did not have a valid motorcycle driver’s license. Finally, among motorcycle drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2019, 33 percent were speeding at the time of the impact.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries and Damages
Because motorcycle drivers are less protected than drivers in enclosed vehicles, motorcycle accidents are more likely to cause severe injuries and even death. The most common types of motorcycle accident injuries for riders wearing a helmet are:
- Lower extremities: 59 percent
- Upper extremities: 55 percent
- Head: 24 percent
- Thorax: 23 percent
- Abdomen: 21 percent
Since the 1990s, injuries among older motorcycle riders have been increasing in frequency and severity. Motorcycle riders over 40 are more likely to have thoracic and rib injuries than younger riders, who are more likely to have injuries to the spine.
People injured in a motorcycle accident when the other driver was at fault, may be entitled to recover damages related to the accident, including:
- The cost of medical care and rehabilitation
- The cost of lost wages and reduced earning capacity
- The cost of property damage, including motorcycle repair or replacement
- Compensation for pain and suffering, including loss of enjoyment or companionship
If you have lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident, you may choose to file a wrongful death claim to recover your expenses and compensate for your loss. It’s best to speak with a qualified motorcycle accident lawyer Houston who understands the law in your case.
How to Choose a Houston Top Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Some of the most important things to consider when choosing a top motorcycle accident attorney include:
- Location. You need an expert attorney who understands state and local laws in your case. Texas accident laws are complex, and a great lawyer will know all the rules and laws that apply to your case. If you contact a remote attorney, however good they are, they may simply refer you to someone local anyway.
- Expertise. It’s important to choose a motorcycle accident lawyer with deep expertise in injury, accident, and wrongful death cases. While all attorneys learn the same subjects in school and pass the same bar exam, an attorney who has been practicing in family or probate court will not have the same expertise as an attorney who has been fighting accident cases for decades.
- Courtroom experience. It is always a good idea to speak with an attorney before accepting any kind of settlement, and a great lawyer can help you get the best settlement possible. However, you also want a lawyer with the toughness and experience to take your case to court if necessary, and fight for everything you are entitled to.
Why Choose Aaron Allison?
The Law Offices of Aaron Allison is a family-owned practice that has been proudly representing accident victims since 1978. Our experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Houston understands your rights and is willing to fight for justice. Contact us today for a free consultation.